Skip to main content

Anatomy of a 'bad thought'

Getting this out of the way right off the top: I'm not sure I can describe all the feelings that go through my head when I have what OCD is telling me is a 'bad thought.' It's something I've been experiencing since I was a  child -- many, many times a day -- but I don't think I've ever fully described it to anyone.

But I'm going to give it a try.

Here goes:

The thought comes into my brain out of nowhere. It could be a simple obscenity, or it could be an obscenity with someone's name attached to it. It could be an obscenity with my own name attached to it. Or it may have nothing to do with obscenities at all. It might be "I hate (fill in the blank)." Or it could be religion related (the worst of them all -- because OCD perceives it as offense against God for which I may never be forgiven).

All that happens in a fraction of a second. Where I suppose someone without OCD wouldn't even know the thought was there, or if they did, would certainly not obsess over it, I do. And do. And do.

The guilt sets in. OCD tells me I'm a horrible person for having such a thought. I believe it -- after all, who but a horrible person would think that? (Never mind that I didn't really THINK it. It just kind of showed up.)

I sometimes try to acknowledge that thoughts mean nothing. It's actions, it's how I am as a person and how I treat others that really matters. Rarely does this approach work. Sometimes I may even debate OCD about it: "That's b.s.," OCD might say. "You're not really a good person, you're just pretending. Maybe you're fooling some people -- but don't count on it." (Ok, it's more an OCD monologue than a debate.)

Then come the compulsions. It could be a counting ritual. But more often, it's mentally asking God for forgiveness, or one of several variations I've developed over the years. I don't ask just once, of course. Often 20 times -- and not just a simple: "Please forgive me." For me, it's a multilevel apology that I've done so many times I have it memorized. If 20 times doesn't work, I could go to 40, or 45.

And yes, I'm quite likely to have another bad though while in the midst of asking for forgiveness for the original one. So a mix of apologies may continue. This could be where I slap myself in the head to try to stop the process.

It depends if I'm alone or with others how intense this all becomes and how long it goes on. If I need to, for instance, get back to work, or focus on driving, or interact with someone, I can generally refocus, if at least for a short time.

Sometimes I still ask for forgiveness while I'm having a conversation with someone. It kind of scares me to think that I can split my brain in two like that, but I do.

I feel like I'm running out of steam on my anatomy of a 'bad thought' -- it's pretty intense, to be honest. So that'll be all for know.

I just hope it's helpful to others who may have a similar experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day I turned claustrophobic

I never thought I was claustrophobic -- it never even occurred to me that I might be. Until I went for my first MRI. I'm not sure this has anything to do with OCD, though in my case I think it does, because now when faced with an MRI I tend to catastrophize -- focusing on having the worst possible experience in that tube weeks ahead of the actual appointment. For my first MRI I was offered a Valium to keep me calm. I cockily said no, don't need it, and proceeded to get on the MRI table. My recollection is that I didn't start to panic right away, as they slid me head first into the tube. But I do recall starting to get a little uncomfortable. Then they handed me a panic button in case I needed to get out. They turned the machine on and in maybe a second -- at most -- I was hitting away at the button. Kicking my legs up and down. Yelling something to the effect of "Get me out. Now!" Of course I was embarrassed and it goes without saying that I got no furth

The pain and irony of 'memory hoarding'

It was one of those moments when I knew I wasn't alone in my anxiety. I was at an OCD conference and the speaker had just described something I'd experienced for years. I just never had a name for it -- and frankly, wouldn't even have known how to describe it in the first place. But he knew what it was -- "memory hoarding." As it's explained in an article from the OCD Center of Los Angeles , memory hoarding is "a mental compulsion to over-attend to the details of an event, person, or object in an attempt to mentally store it for safekeeping. ... People with memory hoarding OCD exhibit two major errors in information processing. The first error is the distorted belief that they will need this memory someday, and that it would be catastrophic if the memory weren’t 100% accurate. Second, people with memory hoarding also have the distorted belief that memories can be treated the same way as inanimate objects." (Essentially, as I understand

What OCD really looks like

We've all seen those cliche -- and inaccurate -- images of what OCD is: the crooked pencil in a line of straight pencils, the one yellow M&M in the pile of reds. So for my post today I want to try to show what OCD really looks like, at least to me. This proved especially challenging, because my most painful and most consuming OCD is mental -- whether it's "bad thoughts" or religiousity or catastrophizing. But I'm going to give it a try. For the most part, the images that follow probably look ordinary, boring. But to my OCD mind, they have some serious power. A normal bathroom soap dispenser? Yes. But my OCD tells me I have to pump it 7 times, or in multiples of 7, whenever I wash my hands. Just clothes in a closet. We've all seen this. But to my OCD mind, all the clothes "must" be facing to the right. Buttons to the right, prints on t-shirts to the right. I've tried hard to let them face left when I've made an error and i